The Premier League is back and we have a clash between Student (Arteta) and Master (Guardiola)
Both teams have little to play for at this stage of the season but the return to action should be enough motivation for the players.
Pep, in particular, will want to get things rolling in the right direction before the UCL KO games resume.
- Man City are the best-attacking team in World Football when it comes to chances created and goals scored. Their chance creation (xG) far exceeds even Liverpool’s total this season
- In fact, their chance creation is even better than their previous two season’s which indicates no decline despite their slightly weaker defensive numbers this season.
- Laporte missing for a large part of the season was a big problem for Man City, He will, however, be available along with Fernandinho for this match
- Man City concede the fewest goals per game when Laporte starts. See my tweet here
- When playing at home City have the best goal difference in the league by a massive margin (+37 goals) This isn’t by chance either their xGD is even higher at +39.1
- When playing at home against teams in the middle third of the table (Arsenal 9th) City have won 9 of 10 while outsourcing opponents 24-5
- Against similar level defences to Arsenal (Everton, Southampton, Palace, Brighton, Watford, and Spurs) Man City are W4 D2 L0 with an average of 3.3 goals scored per game and an xG average of 3.29xG per 90 minbs
- Arsenal were playing better football before the break with 4 EPL wins from 10 under Arteta.
- We should note however that they are yet to record a win away from the Emirates in the league
- In fact, Arsenal have only travelled to one Top 6 team under Arteta (Chelsea 2-2) - Arsenal had two shots in that match and both hit the back of the net. This was a very one side game in Chelsea’s favour but Arsenal were redacted to 10 men after 25 mins
- When travelling to Top 6 opposition, Arsenal have a worrying record. They have lost 8 of their last 10 with 2.5 goals conceded per game
Man City are at full strength with no absentees while Arsenal will be missing Chambers and Torreira
Expected Man City XI: Ederson, Walker, Laporte, Fernandino, Mendy, Rodri, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Sane, Sterling, Aguero
Expected Arsenal XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mari, Luiz, Tierney; Ceballos, Xhaka; Pepe, Ozil, Aubameyang; Lacazette
Man City -1.5 at 1.97 with Marathon - 1.5 units