Both teams to score: Yes at 2.04 with Pinnacle (min 1.95) - 1 unit
- Real Madrid shouldn't have any issues registering at least a goal here, they are scoring at a rate of 2.4 goals per 90 with 2.38xG at the Bernabéu
- Although they kept a clean sheet the last time these two met, overall this season they haven't been great at the back.
- Domestically they rank 9th for xGA (chances allowed) with similar numbers to Espanyol, Alaves, and Levante
- In Europe they kept a clean sheet with Inter (15 attempts totalling 2.09xGA allowed), conceded twice against Sheriff and kept a clean sheet with Shakhtar (0.63xGA)
- Considering Shakhtar's desperation with 1 point after 3 games we can expect a fairly open affair.
- Real are without a few players, but should still field a strong XI.
- Expected XI: Courtois, Carvajal, Militao, Alaba, Mendy, Casemiro, Kroos, Modric, Asensio/Hazard, Benzema, Vinicius
- Shakhtar have played 7 times in Europe this season and have generated 1.54xG per 90 while conceding 1.63xGA.
- Although they have failed to net in the group stages it's worth remembering they were on the unlucky side against both Inter and Sheriff
- Shakhtar are without Lassina Traore in attack as well as winger Pedrinho. Fernando who has a healthy return in all comps (5 goals from 457 mins) will start at CF. In attack Shakhtar have enough options to trouble Real Madrid so I'm not overly concerned with their injuries.
- Expected XI: Trubin, Dodo, Marlon, Kryvstov, Ismaily, Alan Patrick, Maycon, Tete, Sudakov, Solomon, Fernando
- Under De Zerbi Shakhtar have scored in 18 of 22 matches. With 2.1 goals per game and 2.08xG per game their attacking output across all competitions is up on last year
- As mentioned above, Shakhtar can't afford anything but a win here so I expect an aggressive approach as they attempt to pull off a big upset.
Final word: The last meeting between these two was a blowout (0-5) with Shakhtar creating just one good goal scoring chance, with that said we should look at the bigger picture, Real are not restricting opposition well this season and Shakhtar likely throw caution to the wind here